Wheeler Arts Community
Converting one of the earliest reinforced concrete structures in Indianapolis into a thriving arts-centric living community.
Originally built in 1912 for the Wheeler-Schebler Carburetor Company, the Wheeler Arts building is one of the oldest reinforced concrete buildings in Indianapolis, and is all that remains from a larger manufacturing complex. Frank H. Wheeler, the owner of the Company, was a founder and owner of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. After being abandoned in 1995, the building was converted into the 36 live-work lofts for low-income artists in 2001. Additional work was completed in 2017, adding 17 apartment units through the reconfiguration of interior areas, and converting the then-unused basement into a new parking garage.
Adaptive Reuse, Multi-Family Design, Architecture, Historic Preservation